We have two Pre-Kindergarten I classrooms. The Pre K I A classroom at Asbury Preschool is led by one teacher with up to 7 children. The Pre K I B classroom is led by one teacher with up to 8 children. They are suitable for children aged 3 years old. To ensure that your child is properly guided through the program, we maintain the teacher to student ratio at 1:7 or 1:8.
Goals for our Pre-Kindergarten I Program
Our preschool program introduces language, math, science and social skills in an environment that cultivates independence and a love of learning. Specific program goals:
- Recognize name and individual letters of name and eventually attempt writing name
- Increase ability to take turns during a conversation
- Use simple sentences of at least 3 or 4 words to express need
- Increase ability to share and take turns during group play
- Learn to climb the stairs using alternating feet and to hold the rail for balance
- Develop fine motor abilities through activities such as drawing, stringing beads, placing pegs into pegboards, and doing puzzles
- Sharing, caring and empathy toward friends
Our preschoolers engage in a variety of indoor and outdoor age-appropriate activities every day designed to help them develop physically, cognitively, emotionally and socially.
- Participating in daily “lessons” based on the week’s learning theme
- Listening to stories
- Singing, dancing and acting out songs
- Art projects
- Free-play with friends in the room’s centers including block area, dramatic play, language corner, quiet corner, science, sensory, manipulatives/fine motor and creative art
- Reading books in the cozy corner
- Active play in Asbury Preschool’s large indoor play spaces
- Playing in the sandbox
- Using the play structure independently
- Playing with friends
- Using with outside toys like trucks and balls
- Riding trikes
Example of weekly theme
During “Ice and Snow” week, our preschoolers engaged in a variety of activities designed to explore the topic from a variety of angles. Activities included playing with ice cubes in the water table, excavating dinosaurs from ice blocks, learning about arctic animals, singing songs about snow and painting with ice cubes.
*Detailed daily schedules are available from Asbury Preschool’s Director upon request.
Parent Communication and Involvement
Daily reports are sent home every day and cover everything from how long your child napped and how much they ate to activities enjoyed and any other pertinent announcements.
Special Class Features
- Weekly share a book day and show and tell
- Weekly music class
- There is a computer in the classroom
- In-classroom sand/water tables in classrooms
- Optional weekly Soccer Shots